Thick, frizzy, straight or wavy, we are all searching for that perfect hair dryer. Unfortunately, we find that good hair dryers are few and far between.
Any online selling site or high street retailer will give you floods of information about what hair dryer to use, but is what they suggest, the best advice?
What you can do?
Doing research into a hair drying product can boost your chances of choosing the right hair dryer. Additional research into all the best selling sites will bring you face to face with the reviews, these are ideal to look at if you’re concerned about whether the product is worth buying or not. Thankfully though, we’re here to give you the low down on all hair dryers. Today’s contestant is the Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer (Gift Edition).
What should you look for in a hair dryer?
- Power – A hair dryer needs to dry your hair and do it fast, the higher the power, the faster you’re ready.
- Hair Type – Research what is best for your specific hair type, this will help your natural hair type to flourish rather than flounder.
- Heat Control – Hot air is used to dry your hair (as well as keep you warm), cold air is used to style it. Having a heat control button will aid in getting that fresh look.
- Add ons – These may seem like a bonus but attachments will refine and achieve the style you’re aiming for!
These four points are the key to a good hair dryer.
What makes the Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer special?
In this hair dryers description, Dyson boast a story of hair stylists and engineers coming together to make the ultimate hair dryer. Enchanting, to say the least.
Whether the Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer will live up to its name is what we’ll look at today.
What are the main features of the Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer?
- Powerful and Fast Drying – With a new and impressive motor, the power of the Dyson Supersonic will blow you away, or at least, it will blow your hair dry with a powerful air flow system. It has 3 speed settings and its air flow processes 41 litres per second. This air multiplier technology enables it to dry the users hair faster than the average hair dryer.
- Magnetic Attachments – The Dyson Supersonic comes with multiple attachments, all of which are magnetic. This is especially helpful when it comes to clipping the appropriate nozzles off and onto the hair dryer. These attachments aid in styling, drying and protecting your hair, as we’ll mention later.
- Heat Control – There are 4 separate heat settings which allow the user to set the air flow to the correct temperature for them. A microprocessor controls the heat, preventing heat damage to the users hair. Additionally, Dyson have used heat shield technology to ensure that when the user changes to a different attachment, they don’t get scolded by the attachment already in use.
- Display Stand – Not usually included with your average hair dryer, the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer comes with a display stand, making it easy to store as well as adding a professional look to the product.
Does it look good?
Overall, it’s look is very smart, professional and even futuristic. It’s described as a Fuchsia and Iron colour, which – in the marketing world – is a fancy term for pink and grey. These colours might not be appealing for all users, an array of colours would surely boost sales, however, the main purpose of the product is to dry hair, so let’s take a look at what it does best.
What are the Pros and Cons of the Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer?
- Drying and Styling – Thankfully, this hair dryer will dry your hair, whilst helping it become shinier and healthier, or so Dyson claim. Not only that, it produces powerful styling and drying results, which, for the average user, is mind boggling.
- Lightweight – No-one wants to have a sore arm after a hair drying session, the Dyson Supersonic ensures light and easy use for all your hair drying needs.
- Motor – Unlike many top heavy hair dryers, a digital motor has been manufactured into the handle of the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer, keeping it balanced and lightweight. The V9 motor spins up to 110,000 times per minute, yet, due to being acoustically tuned it maintains a low noise, not deafening the user in the process.
- Attachments – As mentioned before this product comes with useful attachments, these include:
- A Diffuser – This nozzle helps reduce the amount of frizz after drying, leaving you with that smooth silky feel you often get after you’ve visited the hair dressers.
- A Styling Concentrator – A useful tool which concentrates on styling one section of hair at a time without affecting the other styled areas, again, this is mind blowing.
- A Smoothing Nozzle – Using a wide amount of air, this nozzle smooths, dries and styles simultaneously. What can’t this hair dryer do?
- Guarantee – Some websites offer a guarantee if something should go wrong with your item, shopping around for a guarantee would ensure that your pockets are safe.
- Cord – Although this product boasts that it’s lightweight, some users have found the cord to be heavy/bulky. This has resulted in sore arms, display stands falling over and difficulty folding the cord away like many thinner wired hair dryers. Still, a sturdy cord will prevent any electrical breakages that a thinner cord might suffer from.
- Hair Types – Whilst this hair dryer can be used by all hair types, users with a finer hair type have compared the Dyson Supersonic to an average hair dryer. Showing that this product may not to be a miracle but rather a disappointment.
- Drying Time – When reading the description, the Dyson Supersonic may seem like a fast and easy way to dry your hair, however, there are mixed reviews concerning its hair drying time. Some believe it to be a miracle hair dryer, cutting their drying time in half, yet others claim that it either takes the same amount of time, or, even longer. Depending on certain hair types, some will take longer than others but surely the Dyson Supersonic should be able to live up to what Dyson say it can do.
- Attachments – How can this be a pro and a con? Simply because a few users have found that when taking an attachment off after use, it is hot rather than cold. Still, most users have not commented on this, so it could be described as a minor problem, but be careful.
- Expensive – The price, is by far the most tantalising of the century. Many users who have bought this item agree that £300 for a hair dryer is too much. Even hair stylists have complained about the quality and value.
The Dyson Supersonic is obviously aimed at the high end of the market, making it unaffordable for the average Joe, this could potentially alienate a lot of people from using Dyson’s products.
What do we think?
Of course, Dyson are a reputable company with many amazing products, most notably, vacuum cleaners. Their innovative ideas have branched out into the hair styling world which boosts business and assists many in their day to day lives. Despite the hefty price tag, we believe this hair dryer packs a punch with its power as well as lightweight ability and great add on features.
Ultimately, if you’re searching for a hair dryer that can style, dry and boost healthier hair, then the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer is a great choice.
You never know, it might blow you away! No pun intended.